[NCSG-PC] [NCSG EPDP] Fwd: [council] For Council review: updated response to ICANN org re: WHOIS Accuracy and ARS

Amr Elsadr aelsadr at icannpolicy.ninja
Mon Oct 14 13:14:29 EEST 2019

Hi Rafik,

Thanks for sharing this here. This is a pretty good draft response, IMO, and hope it isn’t amended by the IPC or BC. The only part that makes me slightly uncomfortable is this:

“Should ICANN org have any specific issues that you believe the EPDP Team should consider as it discusses data accuracy and impacts to the ARS, we invite you to bring these to the attention of the GNSO Council.“

In the draft letter, the GNSO Council already very clearly explains why the topics of data accuracy and ARS should not be addressed by the EPDP, and yet is inviting the Board to propose specific issues on these two topics that it believes the EPDP does need to address.

On the other hand, it might be telling to get an answer to that question, since the Board is now apparently anxious to have the GNSO conduct policy development on these two topics, having not addressed either of them itself when they came up with the Temporary Specification. Someone or something seems to have changed their thoughts on the topic (I wonder or what that could be); enough so that they would write to the GNSO Council with enquiries on how the topics will be handled.

Another thought I have is that I do really wish the Council had shared these sentiments on data accuracy and the ARS back with the EPDP Team when it was discussing them in Phase 1. Would have saved the Team a great deal of time, and would have also likely not needed to deal with them as Priority 2 issues in Phase 2. Also, had this been settled during Phase 1, the topics might have not ended up in the Final Report for Phase 1, the Board would not have sent a letter to the Council with its enquiries, and the Council would not have needed to draft this response at all. ;-)

Thanks again.

Amr