[NCSG-PC] Topics for the Board discussion in Kobe

Ayden Férdeline icann at ferdeline.com
Mon Feb 25 03:56:48 EET 2019

I'm sorry not to have commented sooner. I know it is not helpful when people chime in at the last minute. I am not sure about the comments on travel either. As a percentage of the organization's overall spend, community travel is about 2% of the budget - it is not particularly high. I do not know how much is spent on staff travel because these figures are not published. And while I agree there is waste in the community travel spend, I happen to think there is substantially more waste on internal staff travel, and that is something we have very little insight into. Look at how often Theresa Swinehart is traveling using public interest money, often at the last minute, at a minimum in business class, and staying in hotels that cost more per night than ICANN spends putting us up for a week, say, in Barcelona. We have already seen efforts, in Barcelona for instance, to place community members into subpar hotels in order to save a few dollars. I am concerned that there are efforts only to cut costs by targeting the community, and not to cut staff or board expenditure. I appreciate that your question actually is looking more broadly than at the community, but I think it is unlikely to be read that way, and could be used as ammunition by the CEO to further degrade the community travel experience. What I am curious about, however, is hearing more about how ICANN intends to achieve operational efficiencies in order to contribute several million dollars a year to the Reserve Fund. I haven't seen a plan for achieving this; has anyone else?

Thanks again for drafting this response,

Ayden