[NCSG-PC] Fwd: [council] Letter from RPM PDP co-chairs on GDPR & domain name dispute resolution

Kathy Kleiman kathy at kathykleiman.com
Fri May 18 03:55:38 EEST 2018

Hi Rafik,

Belated response due to illness. In consultation with the RPM Working
Group, the Co-Chairs shared a letter with the GNSO Council highlighting
the importance of WHOIS data for the ICANN-mandated domain name dispute
resolution proceedings: the Uniform Dispute Resolution Policy and the
Uniform Rapid Suspension system. The uses of the Whois data include
notice to domain name registrants of any proceedings filed against their
domain names.

Years ago NCUC worked for multiple ways for the Dispute Providers to
notify registrants of a pending dispute, including email and hardcopy
(in case an email coming from an party with no relationship to the
registrant hit spam). These were written into the policies.

Our goal in the letter to Council was to share the need for registrant
data, on a case by case basis, for the domain name dispute processes.

Best, Kathy