[NCSG-PC] O.com comment

Ayden Férdeline icann at ferdeline.com
Sun Jun 10 00:10:13 EEST 2018

Hi all,

So I have been reading up on the allocation of single character gTLDs vis-a-vis [this comment](https://www.icann.org/public-comments/o-com-single-char-2018-05-10-en) on the potential release of O.com. This issue has been brewing for some time, however I was wondering if the NCSG/NCUC/predecessor had released a comment on this issue. I could find a personal [comment from Avri](https://forum.icann.org/lists/allocationmethods/msg00007.html) back in 2007 but not quite anything from us. Did we ever comment on this?

Also, I was wondering our thoughts on where the money from the sale of O.com (and potentially other single character .coms) should go. I am opposed to this money going into the new gTLD Auction Proceeds fund, an idea I have seen floated around. I don't want to create a big burdensome programme here but I do think we should spend the funds on the ICANN community. CROP and ABRs are being cut, so perhaps these funds could be put aside to advance and sustain these community programmes in the future.

Finally, could someone reasonably confuse O.com (letter 'o') with 0.com (number zero)? I think they could...

Ayden