[NCSG-PC] Fwd: Re: [Epdp-dt] EPDP Scope

farzaneh badii farzaneh.badii at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 09:43:07 EEST 2018

Stephanie

IPC questions which are now in section J,   have to be  1. ideally removed
2.be moved to after data processing terms. If it cannot be turned into a
group question or a member of the drafting objects to it, it should not be
included. this is not a document that IPC can insert as many  questions as
it wants, it's a document that sets the scope of EPDP. and 3.
questions reworded
to reflect its a group question and everyone agreed on

IPC has moved up many of the questions which are already asked under
"systems for standardized access" up in section J and before Part 3. Is it
even possible to respond to J, while Part 3 questions have not been
answered? Part 3 asks important questions about data processing. For
example it asks:

"k1) For which data processing activities undertaken by registrars and
registries as required by the Temporary Specification does ICANN determine
the purpose and means of processing?"

How is it possible, to come up with an ICANN "access" policy, which you
will be doing if you discuss J - before asking which data processing ICANN
determine the purpose and means of processing?

 How are you going to provide access under ICANN policy to data that is not
actually collected because of ICANN purpose!

What they did really in this document was to creep in "access and
accreditation" into the primary phase of the scope. So section J has to be
removed. If it is not possible, it has to move after Part 3. Most of
section J can be addressed under "systems for standardized access".

If that is not possible either, another thing that could be done is to
bring all the question under section 3 before J.

I have made changes to these questions and reworded them and attached them.

*Your edits Stephanie do not expand the scope of the EPDP.* Unlike IPC
questions, there are not so many additional questions that change the
document and its scope. IPC's questions certainly are expanding the
scope, putting answers instead of questions in the scope and we need to
inform everyone about this.

Also remind them that J1(B) which is still in the document, it  was flagged
(it was j6 at the time) and was not removed way before the deadline. Adding
Caitlin's note on the doc:  Note from 9 July Call re: addition of proposed
j6: We need to be cautious about including this level of language in the
charter.  This does not recognize the importance of the gating questions
that we have described or the tiered access approach.  These individual use
cases and requestors of data will be on a spectrum.  The group needs to be
cautious about including this level of language in the charter.  We need to
focus first and foremost on questions coming up with questions of
legitimate use based on the various types of requests.

GNSO council leaders asked the Board whether "UAM" should be in the scope
of EPDP considering ICANN org came up with UAM, should they consider
discussing it. Board gave one of its typical nonanswers:

"As the EPDP makes progress on its policy recommendations it may more
quickly find alignment with the larger community on the elements of the
unified access model. If that is the case, we will work with the GNSO to
align this work, as appropriate. If specific advice is received from the
relevant DPAs, or the community is not aligned, then it may be more
appropriate to address this matter together going forward. "
https://gnso.icann.org/sites/default/files/file/field-file-attach/chalaby-to-council-24jun18-en.pdf

ICANN keeps saying it is seeking legal clarity on issues relevant to access
and if DPAs clarifications go against EPDP recommendations on access, it
will of course follow DPAs advice. so in effect what ICANN is saying is
that I have created a parallel process which I will be working on, you can
do whatever you want in EPDP  and then we can exchange notes. We could
explain this during the drafting team meetings and see if they can be
convinced that we get some time until some of the questions related to
Access has been responded to by the DPAs.

Thanks for all the work.

Farzaneh