[NCSG-PC] ePDP members consulting with membership

Rafik Dammak rafik.dammak at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 14:50:01 EEST 2018

Hi,

> Just wanted to bring this up for consideration and I request this to be
> seriously discussed. It is well known and agreed that ePDP members will be
> advancing and representing the positions of their appointed groups, not
> their personal views. This has been agreed upon based on the nature of this
> effort.

that is indicated in the call for volunteers so everyone understand what
they are commiting to.

> NCSG reps will, therefore, be representing NCSG views in the WG, which is
> different from other PDPs though that would be ideal and i am sure our
> members have been doing their best to best represent us.
>
> For the case of the ePDP, though this looks straightforward, I have been
> wondering how we can ensure this is what really happens and what are the
> tools that we will put in place to ensure this is the case. I think it is
> time we develop some ways to track this and agree on what we need to do in
> an event one of our reps is not reflecting our views/values or is not
> consulting with us. I don't think we should "simply trust our
> representatives".

before thinking about the worse case, we are working  on coordinating NCSG
positions and giving input to our appointed representatives ( again
indicated in the call for volunteers as matter of expectation) and they are
expected to consult us (ditto). We as PC will also monitor the discussion
in the EPDP team via the updates, listening to audiocast of the calls or
checking  any other useful reporting. I also suggested to have a specific
regular EPDP related call to discuss any related topic. any other channel
or mechanism is welcome without putting more pressure or burden .

We haven't discussed any event where a member may lose their membership to
> the WG and how this may happen. Maybe this is somewhere in the OP or WG
> Guidelines or somewhere so i will appreciate being pointed out to any
> existing resources dealing with this specific case.

not sure to understand this case since it is the NCSG like other groups
which appoints or replaces its own representatives. unless you mean  the
representatives was restrircted or something similar by the EPDP team
chair? if a representative is unable for any reason to continue, we got
alternate who are supposed to be ready to step in at any time. We are also
there to avoid things from escalating and will give guidance to our
representatives.

we need be mindful to need overengineer here. We are going to have the
channels for communication, ensure giving regular input to and request
updates from representatives so they can be aware. but more important we as
obsevers have follow closely the discussion in the EPDP team. We are
setting clear expectations  in the call for volunteers for the
representatives and they are also going to sign the statement.

when a particular case happen that needs intervention, we can deal with it
at that time.