[NCSG-PC] Fwd: Suggested Edits to Scope in the EPDP Charter

Kathy Kleiman kathy at kathykleiman.com
Wed Jul 4 22:24:33 EEST 2018

/Suggested edits [in red] to Keith's additions to _Part 2.j_:/

//j)Access to non-public registration data

j1) Should the requirements detailed in Appendix A, Section 4 of the
Temporary Specification remain in place until a system for accredited
access is developed?

i2) What is a reasonable amount of time by which a registrar/registry
must respond to a third party’s request for access to non-public data?
Does it matter who the third party is, e.g., law enforcement,
cybersecurity or intellectual property attorney?

j3) Is there a standard set of information that third-party requestors
should provide to a registrar/registry when submitting a request to
access non-public registration data? Does it matter who the third party
is and for what purpose he/she/it seeks the data?

/*Also, shocked to see the newly-added Phase II section below. My
understanding from our NCSG Policy meeting in Panama is that both CPH
and NCSG to not want this EPDP to work through the details of Accredited
Access. Thus, I point out that it is now drafted for inclusion as a
"Phase II." In what time?
*/

/*I **don't see **how this section can possibly be done in 3-4 months
(for which the original drafting most be done)**-- far too much public
in**put needed, **far beyond the **expertise of ICANN, and far too fast
for the communities (e.g. **cybersecurity, law enforcement and
intellec**tual property) to respond with informative public comment,
**information and guidance. Quick note as a Co-Chair of a huge PDP,
having two Phases is very, very bad idea. It's very inefficient and it
is very time-consuming. I think NCSG PC was right in our original
assessment: have one phase (without access and accreditation), wrap it
up and then move on to a new phase in a separate PDP or EPDP.*/

To be deleted, Phase II below??

Phase II: System for Accredited Access to Non-Public Registration Data

a) Parties that may access the data
a1) What are legitimate purposes for third parties to access
registration data?
a2) What legal bases exist to support this access?
a3) Which parties/groups meet these purposes?
a4) Do those parties/groups consist of different types of users?
a5) What data elements should each user/party have access to based on
their purposes?

b) Vetting processes

b1) Should different types of parties be vetted by different bodies?

b2) Which bodies can effectively vet each party/group?

b3) What criteria will vetting bodies use to assess each party/group?

b4) What requirements will different parties/groups need to meet to be
vetted?

c) Credentialing

c1) How will credentials be granted and managed?

c2) Who is responsible for providing credentials?

c3) How will these credentials be integrated into
registrars’/registries’ technical systems?

d) Terms of access and compliance

d1) What rules/policies will govern users' access to the data?

d2) What rules/policies will govern users' use of the data once accessed?

d3) Who will be responsible for establishing and enforcing these
rules/policies?

d4) What, if any, sanctions or penalties will a user face for abusing
the data, including future restrictions on access or compensation to
data subjects whose data has been abused?

d5) What kinds of insights will CPs have into what data is accessed and
how it is used?

d6) What rights do data subjects have in ascertaining when and how their
data is accessed and used?

Best, Kathy