[NCSG-PC] [gnso-rds-pdp-wg] @EXT: RE: IMPORTANT: Invitation for Poll from 9 January Meeting

Stephanie Perrin stephanie.perrin at mail.utoronto.ca
Tue Jan 16 23:01:29 EET 2018

Agreed, and the secondary purposes for processing should not be grounds
for collection of data....there will be no end to the data desired by
the IP community if we accede to that.  WHich is why I joined Steve
Metalitz's little drafting group today, even though I am super busy.

I would draw your attention to the letter from the 5 Eyes law
enforcement community in that report.  AS a former bureaucrat, you will
recognize weasel words when you see them....most of the High Courts for
the countries listed would not, and indeed have not, found in favour of
these arguments for blanket data gathering for law enforcement
purposes.  I would love to see the constitutional opinions sought, and
am betting (based on those weasel words) that none were sought.This is
not to say that further processing (release) to duly authorized agents,
with due authority is not desireable and should not be
accommodated.....it must.  But how to set this up is not a problem ICANN
has tackled in good faith thus far, and it is high time.  In my opinion.

Stephanie