[NCSG-PC] Public comment on Ombuds Office

Rafik Dammak rafik.dammak at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 13:41:52 EET 2018

Hi,

reading the comment itself, I think it gives a clear rationale for having
an office instead of an individual and highlighting the required
independence of ombudsman.
by its mission and function, it cannot be something in-house or done by an
ICANN staff because there will be dependence toward the organization and
conflict of interest.  I do believe the draft the exact term of "insulate".
The same concern raised when ICANN CEO created a new position for complaint
officers filled by an ICANN staff supposedly handling complaints against
her colleagues!!!

I didn't see that we proposed specifics such consultant, law firm etc in
our comment (did I miss that?) but just an external organization which
gives enough room for implementation.
I don't also think that will increase substantially the cost or budget (we
can check the current budgeting). by the office, I think we only mean a
unit with enough resourcing and funding (ensuring again its independence
and sustainability) to do it works but not creating a new organization per
se.

there were problems with one ombudsman (in fact with the first one I think)
and due to his mission, his power and also the possible CCWG recommendation
to expand more his tasks and role,  we need to be careful here. We cannot
dismiss the need for independence.

I would also caution about the narrative that ICANN is unique,
multistakeholder organization etc which is used by ICANN to dismiss
concerns or reject some recommendations. we are talking here about
practices and recommendations implemented in other spaces and learning from
them. I don't think an ombudsman has to know about DNS or ICANN PDPs but
having expertise in mediating and resolving conflicts, investigating,
applying policies like anti-harassment. not knowing the actors would help
to prevent bias toward any specific group.