[NCSG-PC] Fwd: Re: [council] Reminder - topics for meeting with ICANN Board at ICANN61

Ayden Férdeline icann at ferdeline.com
Fri Feb 16 11:50:12 EET 2018

Thanks, Farzaneh-

A lot of food for thought here. On one hand, I very much agree with you. A huge +1 from me to this statement: "How do they expect us to be meaningfully engaged with various groups when we are under-resourced. Community brings ICANN legitimacy, by cutting its funding and weakening its participation it will certainly hamper its own legitimacy."

Hand in hand with legitimacy is accountability. I believe it is ultimately up to the Board to make sure that we are here truly here speaking up on behalf of non-commercial uses and users, because multistakeholderism is key to ICANN’s governance model. It is also up to us, but if the Board identified a stakeholder group not participating in ICANN policy discussions or facilitating ICANN’s stated objective of promoting the global public interest, I think it would be remiss if it did not flag this and try to address it.

I think if we are frank we would say that we are struggling with the question of accountability. We do not have a code of conduct or enforced standards of behaviour, and it's previously been flagged that we have constituencies whose Executives are sometimes not making decisions in a consistent manner. We have members who no longer meet our eligibility criteria, yet they can vote in our elections. To say nothing of the fact that we have a constituency whose Executive has a mailing list that is not archived, and while to be very clear I am insinuating nothing nefarious, I believe that could be argued to contravene section 1.2 b) of our charter (Principles for Members and Leaders - Transparency).

We have unique challenges and very few resources. I think Stephanie is right to suggest we raise our hand and ask for help. We have a lot on our plate at the moment and a part of me thinks, 'we don't have time to get our house in order,' but maybe we have to make the time. Let's not leave this to the next GNSO Review...

Looking forward to hearing your ideas,

Ayden