[NCSG-PC] Fwd: Request for NSCG endorsement -- GNSO Liaison to the GAC

Tapani Tarvainen ncsg at tapani.tarvainen.info
Thu Sep 7 23:27:23 EEST 2017

Dear PC,

We got another applicant for the GNSO Liaison position:

----- Forwarded message from Paul Rosenzweig <paul.rosenzweig at redbranchconsulting.com> -----

Dear Tapani (and Farzaneh as incoming Chair)

I am writing to request that you consider endorsing me to be the GNSO
Liaison to the GAC.  My current SOI is here:
https://community.icann.org/display/gnsosoi/Paul+Rosenzweig+SOI

My completed application template follows:

APPLICATION TEMPLATE

Name                              Paul Rosenzweig
Affiliation                       The Heritage Foundation/Red Branch
Consulting -- part of the NCSG

Please provide an overview of your experience/expertise with GNSO policy
development processes:  		Since 2014, I have been an active
member of the CCWG-A in both WS1 and WS2 regarding accountability mechanisms
related to the ICANN transition.  As such I have participated in the full
gamut of related GNSO/NCSG policy issue that are of applicability to that
context.  Given my legal background, I have particularly focused on legal
issues -- viz, ICANN's revised mission statement, the new Independent Review
Process, and ongoing considerations of jurisdictional issues.  I have been,
and remain, especially focused on areas where the influence of the GAC seems
to reflect governmental interests that are inconsistent with GNSO policy.

Please provide an overview of your Previous engagements in GNSO work in a
leadership capacity:  	I have not had a previous opportunity to serve in
the GNSO or NCSG in a leadership capacity.  This is the first instance in
which I have volunteered for such a position.

Please describe your familiarity with GAC processes, including GAC
engagement in GNSO policy development:  		As part of my work
with the CCWG-A I came to be intimately familiar with GAC processes for
engaging in GNSO policy development.  I suspect that few in the GNSO have
paid quite as much attention as I have to the GAC's rules of operation, its
definition of consensus, and the ways in which it is permitted to influence
ICANN policy.  Indeed the changes to those processes were one of the
particular focuses of my interest in the CCWG-A and one of the reasons I was
skeptical of the ultimate product of the CCWG and the resulting changes to
ICANN's methods for considering GAC advice.  I remain of the view that GAC
engagement in GNSO policy development is essential but that it should be
accomplished through established GAC-GNSO liaison procedures and not through
extra-procedural fiat.  By way of example,
I have been vocal in my view that the GAC's intervention with the Board
regarding two letter second level top level domains was procedurally
improper (and also disappointed that the GNSO liaison to the GAC had  not
alerted the GNSO to this issue earlier.  [And, though neutrality is a
hallmark of a good liaison, I should also make clear that I find GAC claims
that second level two-letter domains should be restricted deeply
unpersuasive and antithetical to policies that animate the NCSG and the
GNSO].

Please provide any other information that demonstrates your qualifications
for this position:  		It is perhaps of relevance that I have a
history of service in the US government and thus a reasonable understanding
of the role of governments.  In the 2005-09 time period I twice served as
the Acting Assistant Secretary for International Affairs at the Department
of Homeland Security, and thus experience in international diplomatic
contexts.  I attach a full resume for your consideration.

I would be happy to answer any further questions you or other members of the
NCSG might have.

Regards
Paul

Paul Rosenzweig