[NCSG-PC] GNSO Council strategic planning session - first draft agenda for your input

Rafik Dammak rafik.dammak at gmail.com
Sat Nov 11 15:57:18 EET 2017

Hi Ayden,

Thanks for giving the first shot of comments.
I think the schedule will be around 9 to 18:00 every day, with some event
or free evening. it looks like a usual ICANN meeting :)
my understanding of the first topic is that the council didn't really have
any chance before to discuss its role post-transition with GNSO being a
member of EC. for example, we have to participate on budget something
council didn't really follow that much. also, GNSO operating procedures are
going to be updated to reflect the changes. tbh I am not sure how many
councillors are familiar with GNSO OP and ICANN bylaws and having a clear
understanding of the council role and remit. if we can get that
understanding during the strategic meeting, it will help us for the year.

regarding liaison role, that includes liaison to GAC and it is quite
sensitive since we are still trying to get GAC involved and informed at an
early stage of PDPs. we also have less clarity about the role of current
liaisons to the different WGs and how they can do their job better
(liaisons are critical to keeping council informed about WGs status and
issues).

indeed, we need more planning of our activities and in particular policies
for the coming year and how to manage the workload. We are not doing enough
good job in term of program and project management. the preparation for the
meeting should start soon and not just wait for it to start discussion.
that should start prior to January meeting. I guess we can suggest some
reshuffling and change over time allocations to allow more time for
planning itself.