[NCSG-PC] Fwd: Request for confirmation of members - GNSO Standing Selection Committee

Edward Morris egmorris1 at toast.net
Fri Mar 17 03:16:12 EET 2017

Hi Tapani,

 As one of the two principle authors of the SSC I would like to volunteer to serve as one of the three members on the initial committee from the NCSG. My fellow lead on this, Susan Kawaguchi of the Business Constituency, is a candidate for one of the upcoming Review Teams that the SSC will be creating recommendations for and will not be serving on the SSC. As the SSC is a work in progress, with the Motion creating it requiring the SSC to report back to Council on it's utility, I do believe it would be advantageous to Council if one of it's creators was on the team to sort problems and clarify intentions.

 I should also note that I have a track record of successfully placing NCSG members on Review Teams. In the recent selection for the SSR2 team, in which I was one of two GNSO Councillors chosen by the GNSO Chair to join the Leadership team in recommending candidates, the NCSG had two of the thirteen candidates for the positions. Both NCSG candidates were among the seven candidates selected for submission to the SOAC leadership and one of the NCSG candidates was amongst the three automatically chosen to represent the NCSG in a guaranteed slot. The rules would not permit a better outcome.

 An additional concern, noted in the Motion approving the SSC Charter, is the possible effect of items considered by the Drafting Team (DT)  on the GNSO Bylaws on the SSC. My membership on the DT will provide a link between the SSC and the DT and allow for an easy transfer of concerns and suggestions for modification of the SSC by the DT.

 Thank you for your consideration.

 Ed Morris