[NCSG-PC] Canadian pharmacy association concerns over the CCT report

Stephanie Perrin stephanie.perrin at mail.utoronto.ca
Tue Mar 14 18:21:44 EET 2017

THe pharmacy guys (Ron Andruff and Tim Smith,) sent me four
recommendations from the CCT review that they are worried about in terms
of shadow regulation.  I agree.  We are walking down the famous slippery
slope.......

Stephanie P

*/
/*

*/Recommendation 1/*

Registrars and registries may acknowledge the ongoing problem of illegal
online pharmacies and publicly support the work of organizations such as
CSIP and the Alliance for Safe Online Pharmacies (ASOP) and companies
involved in combatting the use of domain names for the illegal
distribution of drugs and medicines by illegal online pharmacies.

*/Recommendation 2/*

When registries and registrars become aware of a suspected illegal
pharmacy they may refer the domain to a third party provider that
verifies the legitimacy of these websites.

*/Recommendation 3/*

After receiving adequate legal confirmation (pursuant to each
organization’s own assessment of adequate legal confirmation) that a
domain name hosts a website that is used to market and distribute drugs
and medicines in violation of applicable laws, registrars and registries
may take prompt action. Registries and registrars may take action on
confirmed, illegal pharmacies up to and including suspension or deletion
of the affected domain(s) in accordance with their internal procedures.

*/Recommendation 4/*

Registrars and registries also include on their website, contact
information for an “Abuse Contact” so that users can report suspected
illegal websites for further investigation by a online pharmacy
verification provider.