[NCSG-PC] Info for Board candidate session later today

matthew shears mshears at cdt.org
Tue Mar 14 11:43:58 EET 2017

Hi all

Given the discussion slot with the Board candidates later today I
thought it might be useful for me to provide the info below:

_LinkedIn profile_

www.linkedin.com/in/shearsmatthew

Current a consultant working with the Center for Democracy & Technology,
the Internet Society and Global Partners Digital.

_Work at ICANN _

Engaged in ICANN and NCUC/NCSG since Q2 2014 with a particular focus on
the transition and governance:

·Member and past VC of the NCSG PC

·Participant in the transition-related CCWGs on Stewardship and
Accountability from their inception

·Participant in CCWG Accountability WS2 issues, including, largely, the
FoI for the HR bylaw, as well as contributing to discussions on SO/AC
accountability and jurisdiction.

·Participant in the CCWG Stewardship Implementation Oversight Task Force
(IOTF)

·Member of the GNSO bylaws review DT; participant in the GNSO futures work

·Participant in the CCWG IG and contributor to the Charter review.

_Work at CDT_

https://cdt.org/?s&filter_author%5B%5D=20432

(The above leads you to blog posts/insights from my time with CDT)

Particular Internet governance focus areas: ICANN and IANA transition;
WSIS review that culminated at the UNGA in December 2015; WCIT 2012,
NETmundial, WTPF, IGFs, etc.

_Other_

Currently co-chair of the Freedom Online Coalition Working Group on “An
Internet Free and Secure” that developed recommendations on
cybersecurity and human rights: https://freeandsecure.online/

Past public and private sector experience – see LinkedIn profile above.

_Suitability of skills/background_

I believe that I have a set of skills and strengths that lend themselves
well to this role, and particularly representing the NCPH.  I have, as
you will see from my background, a balance of non-commercial and
commercial experience and that provides the cross-stakeholder
wherewithal to convey (and promote) the interests and key issues of the
community to the Board.   My 4 years with CDT - which will end March
31st - has also given me a great appreciation for and understanding of
civil society concerns and priorities that have allowed me to
participate in and contribute to the work and goals of NCUC/NCSG.   My
policy and governance interests and skills (including "diplomacy"
skills) also lend themselves to a Board role.

_Motivation_

Two main motivations.   After three years of transition and
accountability related work I have the governance bug and the first of
my two main motivations (and goal) is to contribute to ensuring that the
new ICANN stays in mission and that the Board - very importantly -
respects the roles and responsibilities of the community, particularly
as they relate to policy.   Ensuring that the organization including the
Board are supportive of the Empowered Community and other aspects of
accountability that have been agreed as a result of the transition and
the enhancing of ICANN's accountability is essential to the overall
success of ICANN post transition.  I would see this as a key goal for my
time on the Board should I be chosen to represent the community.

The second key motivation (and goal) is to work to better reflect the
purpose(s) and interests of the community at the Board level. While I
understand and respect the requirement that Directors have "the duty to
act in what they reasonably believe are the best interests of ICANN and
not as representatives of the .... Supporting Organization ... that
nominated them..."  I see bringing the policy and operational concerns
and interests to the Board as a whole - and as appropriate to the
organization and CEO - as a core role for this Director position.   One
means for doing so will be to seek positions on the Organizational
Effectiveness and the Board Governance Committees.

My thanks for your support and if you have any questions don't hesitate.

Matthew

On 08/03/2017 06:48, Stephanie Perrin wrote:

> I would like to nominate Matthew Shears for the Board seat.  Matt has
> indicated his willingness to serve, and has done great work on the
> CCWG over the past year, which will put him in an excellent position
> to convey our concerns and issues to the Board.  I believe that he may
> be able to also do the impossible....muster support from the CPH.
>
> Stephanie Perrin

Matthew Shears
Global Internet Policy and Human Rights
Center for Democracy & Technology (CDT)