[NCSG-PC] SSR Selection, Amendment to Motion on Council call

Edward Morris egmorris1 at toast.net
Thu Jan 19 19:22:07 EET 2017

 Hi everybody,

I wanted to give folks advanced notice of an amendment that will be offered tonight concerning the candidates that will be proposed for the SSR Review Team.

As I noted on the PC call earlier this week, one of the Selection Team’s choices for one of the GNSO’s three guaranteed positions on the SSR RT, Eric Osterwell, was also endorsed and selected by RSSAC. Eric accepted their endorsement thus allowing us to nominate another GNSO candidate for the RT.

The GNSO can nominate seven candidates for the SSR Team, three whom are guaranteed selection and four who will be considered for open slots by the SO/AC chairs. As Eric had been selected for one of the guaranteed slots, we had the opportunity to revisit the applicant pool and elevate one of those we had chosen for a nonguaranteed position to a guaranteed slot, and elevate one of the applicants who were not initially selected into a GNSO recommended position. After a few days of consideration, those of us on the Selection Team have considered our options and the Motion will be amended tonight (as seconder I will be accepting the amendment as friendly) to reflect the following:

Emily Taylor (RrSG) to be elevated into one of the three guaranteed GNSO positions on the SSR RT, and,

Rao Naveed Bin Rais (NCSG) to receive a GNSO endorsement for the SSR RT, with his name forwarded to the SO/AC Chairs for further consideration.

Resolved §1 of the amended Motion will now read:

 -

1.     The GNSO Council nominates (in alphabetical order): Denise Michel, Emily Taylor, James Gannon as its primary three candidates for the SSR2-RT, noting that these candidates under the new ICANN Bylaws are entitled to be selected. Furthermore, the GNSO nominates (in alphabetical order): Howard Eland, Norm Ritchie, Rao Naveed Bin Rais, Scott McCormick to be considered for inclusion in the SSR2-RT by the SO-AC Chairs should additional places be available.

 -

This was an incredibly talented field of applicants. We should be very proud that both NCSG member applicants have been recommended for selection by the GNSO Council for this important  Review Team. Congratulations to both James and Naveed for your selection and thank you very much for your willingness to serve our community.

I certainly will be voting in favour of this Motion tonight and hope my fellow GNSO Councilors will join me in doing so. I believe this is a good outcome for the NCSG, the GNSO and for ICANN itself.

Kind Regards,

Ed Morris