[NCSG-PC] SSC process and my status in NCSG PC

Ayden Férdeline icann at ferdeline.com
Thu Apr 6 13:17:43 EEST 2017

I do not have an objection to Rafik serving on the SSC, just as I did not have an objection to Ed serving. I had not assessed either candidate and was reserving judgement until our scheduled call for this evening, when I was going to compare CVs against the publicly-developed scoring rubric. However, if I am interpreting correctly the previous emails which have been sent to this list today, some of us have just been accused of being biased and partial towards a certain candidate, and “this whole process is a mess and should be started over with clear requirements and standards approved by the PC.” Then an hour later, we should abandon process altogether, “There is an old tradition in my culture, well I just made it up, that all new jobs go to the newlywed man.” So which is it? Should we be starting over, putting out a new call for candidates with a clearly defined process for how applications will be evaluated — or is there actually a tacit acknowledgement that the process we were following was appropriate, but there was a fear the ‘wrong’ person was going to be chosen? I hate to dwell on this, as I’d like us to move on as well, but I think this is important. If Rafik is appointed because Ed has withdrawn, I do not want his appointment to be seen by any as illegitimate.

Ayden Férdeline
[linkedin.com/in/ferdeline](http://www.linkedin.com/in/ferdeline)