[NCSG-FC] Finance Committee meeting today

Amr Elsadr aelsadr at icannpolicy.ninja
Wed Mar 13 06:48:36 EET 2019

Hi,

I’m not sure I understand the question that is being asked of me, but have a few comments in-line below:

> On Mar 13, 2019, at 1:27 PM, Stephanie Perrin <stephanie.perrin at mail.utoronto.ca> wrote:
>
> Unfortunately we no longer have a chair once Ayden is appointed as the NCUC rep.  So we need to resolve this, your term was up a while ago and we should have held the NCUC process earlier.
>
> It is easy enough to ask the non-members to leave the room and have a brief discussion among the members, that would be me, Ayden and Remmie.

I’m not sure why non-members would be required to leave the room. There is nothing confidential being discussed.

> Once that election is held, we open the room again and start with your agenda.  I have checked this with Robin and Amr who are our experts on procedures, and they are adamant on this.  Needs to be done.  I am ccing Amr and Robin, to verify that I have got this straight.

The three members (one from each of the NCSG constituencies, and the NCSG Chair acting as an ex-officio member) of the FC need to vote to elect the FC Chair.

More below…,

> Thanks!
>
> Stephanie
>
> On 2019-03-12 23:14, Thato Mfikwe wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I would like to kindly propose an open discussion on the Charter section 2.6 and input on what the FC should be focussing on.
>>
>> I think elections and discussion on SOI can take place anytime after ICANN64,

Yes. I don’t seen any need for the FC to ever meet in person. All it’s work can be conducted on mailing lists and conference calls. If the election is going to take place here at ICANN64, nothing wrong with that either, assuming all 3 members are present.

>> furthermore only memebrs and observers participate in the election process according to the charter or are we now not following stipulations of the charter?

This is wrong. Observers don’t participate in FC Chair elections. Furthermore, we shouldn’t have any observers on the FC right now, since we have no candidate constituencies within the NCSG to appoint them. If there are observers on the FC right now, they should be removed.

However, the FC may invite additional members, should it reach rough consensus on the need to appoint additional member(s). This should be justified by demonstrating that it is necessary to achieve the committee’s goals and responsibilities.

Thanks.

Amr