[NCSG-FC] Acknowledgement, thanks and request

Tapani Tarvainen ncsg at tapani.tarvainen.info
Mon Jan 16 07:45:36 EET 2017

On Sat, Jan 14, 2017 at 09:43:07AM -0500, Edward Morris (egmorris1 at toast.net) wrote:

>  As we know, the NCSG has no bank account. When Robin Gross was
> Chair of the NCSG she did raise money and hold events but I believe
> the financial part was always done through the NCUC.

That is my understanding as well.

> Tapani, you've been the leader within the NCSG and NCUC in trying
> to both open up the archives of these organizations and to bring
> transparency into the current processes. Can you tell us anything
> about the past history of the NCSG FC or, indeed, anything to do
> with finance in our SG?

As far as I know, NCSG FC has not done anything of note during the
time I'm been involved in NCSG.

NCSG itself does not have a bank account or finances other than
what ICANN provides us (travel support, special budget requests).

> I do understand we did receive funds last year for the new
> database. Would you be able to tell us what procedure a group
> lacking a bank account used to receive and spend the monies?

It was done via NCUC's bank account, Milton Mueller took care of the
practical details. That was (and is) joint NCSG-NCUC-NPOC effort,
so that was not a problem (and it was easier to use NCUC than NPOC,
as at the time NPOC was in the middle of its election).

But in general it is problematic that NCSG does not have a bank
account of its own.

For example, the registration of ncsg.is has been paid by Avri Doria
personally when she was NCSG Chair; it expires this May, renewing
it has to be paid for somehow.

> I will also note that in terms of equity, that our SG does include
> two constituencies that do interact with ICANN in many ways. I take
> our remit under the Charter to include insuring our two
> constituencies are treated fairly by ICANN.

Yes. How that applies to managing our finances and bank accounts and
NCSG's lack of same, is a good question.

--
Tapani Tarvainen