[NCSG-EC] Fwd: Building Bridges in NCPH/Common Goals/Virtual Intersessional

Johan Helsingius julf.helsingius at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 08:47:00 EET 2023

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	Building Bridges in NCPH/Common Goals/Virtual Intersessional
Date: 	Mon, 27 Feb 2023 19:32:31 +0000
From: 	Lori Schulman <lschulman at inta.org>
To: 	Johan Helsingius <julf.helsingius at gmail.com>
CC: 	Cole, Mason (Perkins Coie) <MCole at perkinscoie.com>, Tim Smith
<tim.smith at cipa.com>, csg-excomm at ICANN.org <csg-excomm at icann.org>, Mohr,
Susan <Susan.Mohr at lumen.com>, 'Brian King' <brian.king at clarivate.com>,
philippe.fouquart at orange.com <philippe.fouquart at orange.com>

Dear Julf,

As promised, here is Part II of my follow up email.  CSG is very pleased
to engage with NCSG on building bridges within our house.  It has been
too long since we have sat down as a united group in common interest. To
that end, we propose several steps.

  1. Provide more clarity and predictability on the filling of Board Seat
     14.  This issue was addressed in my first email which is attached
     for your reference. We shouldn’t have to rely on memory and
     undocumented understandings.
  2. Our ExComms to meet and agree on common goals in order properly
     guide our Board member(s).
  3. Work together on common policy issues when feasible.
  4. Plan an intersessional to discuss the NCPH in general and how, given
     that we may have alignment on some fundamental issues, to form an
     agenda and action plan for progress.

We briefly discussed 4 areas in which may have common ground in terms of
providing guidance to our Board member and input on policy processes:

      1. Implementation of Policy Recommendations (unclog the pipes)
      2. Implement a well-defined holistic review including examining the
         GNSO framework and whether it makes sense
      3. Implementing reasonable and well documented DNS Abuse mitigation
         procedures
      4. Addressing volunteer workload and burnout

We welcome more thoughts and suggestions.   This is a transitional time
at ICANN and we look forward to working together to make sensible
progress and ensure that our concerns are heard and acted upon.

We look forward to hearing from you.

With kind regards,

Lori S. Schulman

Senior Director, Internet Policy

*International Trademark Association (INTA)*

+1-202-704-0408, Skype:  LSSchulman

lschulman at inta.org <mailto:lschulman at inta.org>, www.inta.org
<blocked::http://www.inta.org>