[NCSG-EC] Clarification re technical and admin expenses, past and future

Raphael Beauregard-Lacroix rbeauregardlacroix at gmail.com
Wed Nov 20 00:14:06 EET 2019

Dear Joan, all,

As we discussed during the EC meeting in Montreal, I have updated the CIVI
shared google folder with all the invoices.

Joan, since you have requested access, I will share this with you off-list.
After looking at my emails, it appears it was shared at the time with Juan
and Raoul (as NPOC reps on NCSG EC). Bruna, as the functional equivalent of
Joan on the NCUC side, I'll also share it with you.

In addition, I would like to clarify the money point you raised, and take
the opportunity to lay out more clearly that matter for the benefit of
everyone on the EC as well.

Given the substantial fixed costs to getting Wapix on board, Farzaneh
requested last fall (and obtained) that NCUC and NPOC each chip in a part
of their yearly tech and administrative allocation money from ICANN. This
yearly allocation amounts to 9000 total for each of NCUC, NPOC and NCSG.
This was negotiated originally by Rafik. What the Cs chipped in was 4000
each out of their 9000. As Farzaneh she mentioned on her 16 Dec email to
the NCSG FC, "In total, we have 10500 USD (including NCUC allocated a
budget of 4000  and NPOC allocated a budget of 4000) remaining."

With that 10500, (so, by deduction, 2500 from NCSG), we (Steph fronted the
money, then ICANN paid out of allocation) paid the bill for the development
blocks (2430 for 30 hours), which we are put to good use, and then paid the
monthly 577 bill for maintenance, security, etc. until the end of the past
FY. Hence from December 2018 up to the end of the FY (30 June 2019), CIVI
expenses were split. You will forgive me Farzaneh but I don't remember
according to what fraction! If need be, either Maryam or Mary Wong would be
able to give an answer on that.

This "deal" ended with the end of the past FY; for the current FY, there is
no such deal and I do not see the need for one. At the NCSG level, we are
not contemplating any major project that would require it.

In that sense, from 1 July 2019 onwards, the two Cs and the SG are on their
own with their own 9000 as far as tech/admin expenses go.

I hope this clarifies the matters and let me know if you have any questions.

Have a nice day,