[NCSG-EC] discussion about the appropriateness of directly forwarding complaints about our members onto this public list

Robin Gross robin at ipjustice.org
Mon Nov 18 00:09:25 EET 2019

All,

I’d like to suggest that we NOT directly forward the sensitive complaints that we’ve started receiving lately on to this publicly archived list with zero redactions or changes to the subject line, etc.

This seems like a serious privacy violation to me and rather negligent in terms of protecting our members’ reputations.

We need to set up some ground rules about handling sensitive information so we can be as transparent as possible without disregarding our members’ right to a fair process before we take any of these discussions further.

Here is the NCSG Operating Procedure on this specific point:
C.  EC Decision Making Over Membership Reviews <https://community.icann.org/m/view-rendered-page.action?abstractPageId=88573383#>
1.  All decisions, communications, and evaluations made by the NCSG-EC regarding termination shall be done transparently to the extent reasonably possible (including publicly archived online record of the discussions and any decisions reached). Notwithstanding the foregoing, certain redactions and other protections for personal privacy and other legitimate concerns shall be invoked, where appropriate, in the publication or dissemination of this information at the discretion of the Chair.

Thanks,
Robin