[NCSG-EC] Complaint regarding your membership as a representative of EFF Australia

David Cake dave at davecake.net
Fri Nov 15 18:19:55 EET 2019

I thank you for your communication.

Lyndsey Jackson and have substantially different understanding. I was clear in previous communication both Lyndsey personally and to the EFA board that I was still active within ICANN on behalf of EFA. While I am no longer a board member of EFA, I am a member of the EFA policy committee (in 2018 I was the vice-Chair), and eligible to represent ICANN within policy processes. In particular, I sent the EFA board a long message regarding representing EFA within ICANN processes in 2018, including that I received travel support.

I have explicitly been appointed by a representative of EFA in the past, it has never been withdrawn or changed, and the board has been informed of my work and role within ICANN sufficiently in the past that if they wished to change it, or learn in more detail, they had opportunity. I have certainly believed in good faith that the board understood that I was participating in ICANN processes on behalf of EFA, and it was discussed within the policy committee of EFA at several points. I believe that the NCSG EC should wait to clarify the outcome of EFA internal discussion before acting - I have in fact been given no opportunity as yet to discuss the issue internally.

While I will continue to discuss the issue with the EFA board, and they may wish to appoint a different representative, I do not believe they are able to do so retrospectively. I do not believe there is any lack of validity of my previous appointment. Any confusion I regret, and I was participating in ICANN processes with the sincere belief that the policy committee of EFA was aware of ICANN work.

Obviously if I no longer represent an organisation, I no longer am able to be active within NPOC. I will apply for individual membership of NCUC/MCSG.

Regards

David