[NCSG-EC] [NCSG Techteam] Call with Wapix this week re priorities

Tapani Tarvainen ncsg at tapani.tarvainen.info
Sat Apr 27 03:40:02 EEST 2019

On Apr 26 17:36, Raphaël Beauregard-Lacroix (rbeauregardlacroix at gmail.com) wrote:

> I could check with Josh, but I think he was either using gmail as an
> example of a client, or assuming that we (or for this purpose,
> Maryam) is using gmail.

Ah. OK.

> I think it is worthwhile to ask how "portable" their solution would be in
> the event of a change of client for the person whose email is configured.

It could be.

> What we need with RFI tracking is a way to record, in civi, the RFI sent by
> Maryam and the actual reply she receives, without having her copy/paste it.
> This necessarily means some level of intrusion into the mailbox of the
> person in charge of RFIs, although there are various ways this intrusion
> can be fenced up, I presume.
>
> I'm not sure however how migrating the mailing list would solve problems
> here given that these RFIs happen offlist. But I might be misunderstanding
> you!

Since the mailing list migration would involve setting up basic email
tools, it could as a side-effect offer a solution or a part of one to
this as well.

A couple of possibilities:

(1) Create an email account in our (CiviCRM) VM and use it for this
purpose instead of anyone's gmail or other personal account. This
would still involve coding to hook it up with CiviCRM, probably
about as much as the gmail hookup.

(2) Create a one-person (pseudo) mailing list, with Maryam (or other
future RFI handler) as the only subscriber, where anyone can post but
only select people (the EC) can view the archives, and send the RFIs
with list address as the sender and Bcc:'d to the list. This would be
pretty trivial once Mailman is up and running. Actually it could even
be done with our current Mailman setup without involving CiviCRM at
all. It would need some extra work to link the archive messages to the
person in CiviCRM (to make it easier to find the tread relating to
each).

For Maryam either would involve using an email client that allows
multiple identities (sender addresses), or using a separate client
just for this purpose. But there'd be no hookup to her personal
email and no problem in shifting the task to or sharing it with
someone else.

--
Tapani Tarvainen