[NCSG-EL-REF] Gender and regional balance

Tapani Tarvainen ncsg at tapani.tarvainen.info
Tue Aug 1 11:14:54 EEST 2017

Dear election reformists,

Nobody commented this and as I just noted in ncsg-discussion it was
subsequently approved as is by NCSG EC.

I just realized, however, that there's at least one key element
missing that should be addressed before next election: GNSO Operating
Procedures allow for exception to the two-term limit under special
circumstances, including inability to fulfill gender or regional
balance otherwise.

While I don't see that having an impact in elections per se, what that
means is that in the event described in step 3 below, that is when
there're not enough candidates of one gender, the EC could appoint
someone who would not otherwise be eligible after having served two
terms already.

It could also apply in case of regional balance, cf. last sentence
in step 4 below.

But this is for the future, in current elections it doesn't seem
possible that a term-limited councillor would even be available
for this kind of scenario.

Tapani