[NCSG-PC] Dot INTERNAL Public Comment.

Caleb Olumuyiwa Ogundele muyiwacaleb at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 00:54:02 EET 2024

Hello PC,

I would not know if we are following the .INTERNAL public comment. My first
take will be to take the running cost for non-commercial operators with low
budget.

https://www.icann.org/en/public-comment/proceeding/proposed-top-level-domain-string-for-private-use-24-01-2024

ICANN also emphasized that operators opting for private namespaces, like
.internal, should consider the costs involved. The proposal recommends
using subdomains of publicly registered domain names, which would eliminate
those costs.

An ICANN Security and Stability Advisory Committee (SSAC) advisory from
September 2020, when this project started to gain traction, reveals that
beyond network operators and routers, companies providing IoT devices,
captive portal networks, and other software vendors may also wish to
benefit from the proposed TLD.

The same notice confirms that different instances of the .internal domain
will have distinct meanings in separate contexts or networks, just the same
as we have become accustomed to with 192.168.x.x.

While the process unfolds, the Internet landscape continues to evolve and
the adoption of controlled TLDs could help provide more controlled spaces
for internal communication, services, and resources.

--
*Caleb Ogundele*
Email: muyiwacaleb at gmail.com