[NCSG-PC] [Time Sensitive] Update on Mechanism(s) to Address Latin Diacritics and Question

Tomslin Samme-Nlar mesumbeslin at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 01:04:40 EEST 2024

Hi NCSG,

Below is an important matter that needs your input and guidance. This is
related to diacritics, which I believe @Tapani Tarvainen
<ncsg at tapani.tarvainen.info> and @Stephanie Perrin
<stephanie.perrin at mail.utoronto.ca> have opinions about. But there is an
additional procedural issue surrounding how the diacritics issue is
potentially resolved that needs our attention.

For a brief background for those who've not followed the diacritics issue,
an applied-for IDN gTLD string in the Latin script containing diacritics
(e.g .Québec versus .Quebec), which is NOT an allocatable variant label of
the base ASCII string (existing or applied-for) according to RZ-LGR, are
sometimes seen as equivalents. In some instances however, the base ASCII
string is seen as a workaround and not necessarily “correct”. The base
ASCII string and the Latin diacritic string  may be determined to be
confusingly similar (i.e., in which case, the strings would be placed in a
contention set or if an existing gTLD is involved, the applied-for label
would not pass the String Similarity Review and therefore be rejected - the
case of .Quebec).

As you may also be aware, the Council Small Team Plus has been working to
address some SubPro recommendations not adopted by the Board and one of
them is Recommendation 24 - which relates to string similarity singular and
plurals and this is up for council vote on April 18.

ICANN staff is suggesting that the Council delays that vote and modify that
recommendation to allow the same entity to apply for (and obtain) a
visually similar string if the similarity is diacritic base (case of Québec
and .Quebe).  What this means is that if the council accepts this approach,
it may need to task the current Small Team + on SubPro to study this
diacritic issue and propose a recommendation on diacritics as part of
Recommendation 24.

My question to you is:

   1. Should our councillors vote to allow SubPro Rec 24 to be used to
   address the diacritics issue?
   2. Should the Small team Plus be tasked with this additional work of
   developing a proposed supplemental recommendation that addresses the
   diacritics issue?

Warmly,
Tomslin