[NCSG-PC] Feedback on the ICANN Board’s Proposed Public Interest Framework

Rafik Dammak rafik.dammak at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 17:15:45 EEST 2019

Hi all,

please find below the info about the community consultation on the Global
Public Interest framework. We should draft our response to the questions
listed below. I will share later the details in NCSG list.

Best Regards,

>From 18 September – 18 October 2019, a community consultation is taking
place on the global public interest framework proposed by the ICANN Board.
In reviewing the proposal, the ICANN Board is asking the ICANN community to
consider the following questions for input to the ICANN Board:

1.  What are your thoughts on the proposed framework approach? Do you have
any suggestions for how it could be improved?

2.  What are your thoughts on the proposed approach for decisions in the
ICANN ecosystem to be accompanied by a consideration of their impact on the
global public interest (as well as an explanation regarding what is meant
by the GPI in the specific case)?

3.  How do you see this working for the Supporting Organization (SO),
Advisory Committee (AC), constituency, group, review team, or
cross-community working group (CCWG) to which you are contributing?

The global public interest is central to many of ICANN’s primary governance
documents, and the ICANN Board hopes to play a role in facilitating a
bottom-up, community-driven process to develop a framework as a toolkit for
the ICANN community to consider the global public interest. These
considerations would not change the process by which decisions are made but
could instead serve as tools for the community to reinforce the commitment
to the public interest and to demonstrate how specific recommendations,
advice, and public comments are in the global public interest. This
includes the ICANN community guiding the ICANN Board about the public
interest determination the latter must make in its decisions.

To learn more about the framework, please read the discussion paper
[r20.rs6.net]
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__r20.rs6.net_tn.jsp-3Ff-3D0014631p6ECz1koeg6ajMSzZrFT7DO05069BKNDJvhNpKDU-2D38mdcxCqJ1EJzj5gscgfkGfGj-2DFGI3o7d-5FcGAxvEYcLuDt-2DuNbFw7pLtAPwsOOBVyljJ-5FnOUkAdXGEq-5Fpqhnx9MAz7aDEHi3hvOaYb3gqWjXDXghZrpf0Ca1iUZzXdnGBbim2ZY09p7WU0m-2DXOMIhpn2CTVR7lR4v-2DDeX-5F4RZFHV0Vx2gnIRwJwkZKqQoiglVM4l6PG-2Df7xB-5FIkXMVwTDMtu5FHvXFhlTLLJIN5Jg-3D-3D-26c-3Dz44JySTIvEGqNJPIjwWImwF59dG21I-2DoxnM1Mz6G5PmaucLg5GaW-5Fg-3D-3D-26ch-3DFcbT1z5bmkz6UEfk6eUJehq3ywPR-5FHTaxr7BzhY6q17TcrAkO831rw-3D-3D&d=DwMFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpCIgmkXhFzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk&m=Zrm2TmioSoHmD-RVsf08eb9s33A4I2k08_uP0LOo_zA&s=Y1oSQaaaH67cndtqhCcGryOkThAU0RpFNJVzZzD0mGc&e=>.
Community feedback is welcome by *Friday, 18 October 2019 via email at
**gpitoolkit at icann.org
<gpitoolkit at icann.org>*. After the community consultation, there will be a
public session at ICANN66, followed by a Public Comment proceeding.

For more information, visit: *https://go.icann.org/2kMb7RB
<https://go.icann.org/2kMb7RB>*.