[NCSG-EC] ICANN79 Stakeholders/Board sessions (NCSG questions to the Board)

Johan Helsingius julf at Julf.com
Wed Feb 21 18:58:49 EET 2024

> We would be grateful if you could send to Board Operations
> (board-ops-team at icann.org <mailto:board-ops-team at icann.org>)  the
> questions you would like the Board to address during our face-to-face
> meetings. Given the finite time available for these meetings, please
> list your questions in order of priority.We would also appreciate
> getting your questions no later than *_Wednesday 21 February, 2024_*.

At ICANN77 and ICANN78 we had fairly long lists of questions, and
as a result we did not have any time for an open, interactive
conversation. Therefore we have decided to limit our questions
and instead leave enough time for discussion.

Our first question is related to the risk assessment that is
routinely done on board resolutions - could a lightweight
human rights impact assessment also be done on the resolutions?

Our second question is related to the new Board open engagement
session that is part of the ICANN79 Prep Week. Our understanding
has been that the Prep Week was developed to help bring people up
to speed on issues that have been developing between the meetings,
but that the sessions are purely informational. Is the intention
of the engagement session to introduce community engagement in the
Prep Week as well as during the actual meeting? While we welcome
all initiatives that aim to increase community engagement, we feel
that it would be better to use the cross-community and cross-SG
collaboration face-to-face and hybrid sessions rather than overloading
the Prep Week.

Our third and final question is related to the transfer of the
.LB ccTLD. We understand that there were some special considerations
due to a change in the circumstances of the former management
arrangement, so we are interested in what procedures IANA has in place
for dealing with situations like this, as well as emergency
situations (such as civil war or conflict) affecting the management
of a ccTLD. We also note that there was an objection raised, but it
was still noted that there were no issues or concerns raised by the
community.

Best regards,

	Julf Helsingius, NCSG Chair