[NCSG-EC] Board Seat 14 Nomination Procedures and Timeline

Johan Helsingius julf at Julf.com
Thu Apr 20 21:32:18 EEST 2023

Dear Lori,

I totally understand and agree with prioritizing your health and
day job.

My mentioning of "standing up to Becky" was in response to what I
understood, based on our discussion, was your concern with Matthew.
Seems I misunderstood you - my apologies!

Board members don't, as a rule, disagree with each other in public,
but behind the scenes there are heated discussions. We feel Mark
is currently still too inexperienced and lacks the gravitas to be
effective in the high-pressure board environment. In our interview
with Mark he also didn't convince us of him having the required
management skills and experience, nor the knowledge about the
peculiarities of the ICANN community and more specifically the NCPH
nuances. Unlike Mark, Matthew has actually shown he possesses all the
attributes that the ICANN bylaws list as requisites that need to be
demonstrated by Board Members a

I am not quite sure about who you are referring to with "our Board
incumbents", but I am occasionally reminded of the fact that English
is my third language.

I also disagree with the view that granting a 3rd term to a Board Member
should be based on extraordinary performance. The experience,
position and credibility within the board built up during the previous
terms is very valuable, and should not be wasted lightly. I feel that
unless there are serious concerns about the functioning of a board
member, we should prioritise giving these individuals preference over
someone unproven.

I agree there is a bigger issue, not just with the 2018 agreement but
in the cooperation within the NCPH. I really feel we need to bring back
the intercessional meetings or some other way to jointly discuss the
issues. I fear resolving those issues will take too long to provide
help for our current issue with the board seat 14.

In my 1-on-1 with Sally Costerton she expressed her serious concern
about how missing the deadline will reflect badly on all of ICANN,
and could be used against the whole multistakeholder model. Thus
I feel there is real time pressure to get the board seat issue
resolved.

We would also like to better understand your reasons for rejecting
Matthew, and what it would take for you to accept him. We are therefore
looking forward to a constructive discussion.

With kind regards,

	Julf